Monday, August 6, 2012

Chicken Tenders With A Side Of Green Beans

I tried this recipe again tonight my way. I didn’t follow any sort of recipe at all. My 7-year old son actually ate this meal, minus the green beans. He is by far the pickiest eater I have ever seen. He went from eating a whole pb&j and a yogurt, himself, for lunch and any red or orange fruit (except cantaloupe, never touched it) at one year, to only eating cheese and peanut butter and honey on crackers and eggs. He no longer likes eggs either.  He used to eat/drink milk, until we spent four months in Costa Rica and had one (not one too many, just one) sour milk bottle. Okay, there was a bad chocolate milk one also. Does not like it anymore. So anyway, back to tonight’s dinner… Try the following and see what you think.

Organic Chicken Tenders With A Side Of Green Beans


3 Pounds Chicken Breasts – slice pieces to 1/3” thickness
1 C. Peanuts (roasted, salted)
2 ½ C. Late July® Organic Classic Saltines Crackers* – broken up
2 ½ C. Late July® Organic Classic Rich Crackers* – broken up
2 Eggs

Green beans

Slice chicken breasts to just about 1/3” thickness, set aside. (It's much easier to cut chicken when it's mostly frozen rather than thawed.) Beat eggs with a fork in a shallow dish for dipping, set aside. In a high powered blender or food processor (I’ve never used a food processor but am told this will work), process the peanuts and crackers to a semi-fine consistency. Put this dry mixture in another shallow dish for dipping and set aside. Dip chicken slices in egg, let drip a few seconds then put in dry mixture. Pour some dry mixture over chicken, press down so that it sticks to chicken, lift out, shake a little and place chicken in a greased glass dish. (I used organic olive oil or butter.) Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, turn chicken over and bake another 10 min. Turn to broil for the last 2-3 minutes removing promptly from oven as not to burn.

In a saucepan cook the green beans.

Serve with whatever dipping sauce your family likes. We just used Annie’s® Naturals Organic Ketchup. This one is my family’s favorite. Ketchup is one I have not yet tried to make on my own, although I do have a recipe, hmmm…

*I absolutely LOVE Late July® Organic crackers. I have personally never tasted a better cracker. The saltines are preferred at my house over the richs. I stock up when they go on sale because they are pricey and we go through them rather fast.

Oh, by the way. This makes a lot of food. I had to use three glass dishes to fit all the pieces. We fed two adults and four children (two were neighbor kids) and had a few pieces left over. And like I said up top, I made up this recipe. I’ve used one with similar ingredients, and you had to double dip the chicken – messy, gooey and a lot of time. This way is much easier. And I only put one hand in the egg and use the other hand for the dry mixture. Worked very nice. Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment