Monday, October 8, 2012

Organic Chocolate Graham Cracker Cookies

I remember my Mom would make these when I was a kid. I still love them and now so do my kids. They are so easy to make and keep nicely in the frig for over a week.

Ingredients:
Graham Crackers (I use Erewhon Organic Honey Grahams)
3 C. Organic Powdered Sugar
1 C. Raw Cacao Powder
4 T. Organic Butter
Approx ½ C. Raw Milk, added a tablespoon at a time
1 t. Organic Vanilla

I start with the powdered sugar, cacao powder and butter and get them mixed together nicely. Then I add a tablespoon or two of milk and the vanilla. I work it all together for a consistency I like, then I go for taste. If it’s not sweet enough or not chocolaty enough I add more powdered sugar or cacao powder. If it’s way too thick I add more milk, etc. until I like the end product. You’re looking for a creamy, moist  spreadability.

Break graham crackers in half, spread on a gob of frosting, top with the other half and you’re done.

I keep them in the refrigerator. This helps the frosting set up a bit and makes the crackers a little soft.

˜˜˜For a vanilla version that tastes like Mother’s Circus Animal Cookies, you know the pink and white ones? Omit the cacao powder and add more powdered sugar. SO YUMMY!
 

**All ingredient quantities are approximates. I really don’t have hard fast amounts for the ingredients in this recipe.  I mix and blend, mix and blend until I get the consistency and taste I want. I’ve only ever used Erewhon brand graham crackers. I haven’t seen other organic brands in the stores near where I live.

No comments:

Post a Comment