Monday, May 21, 2012

Organic Rye Blueberry Pancakes


Hello,
         My name is Tracy and this is my new blog site, Dishes By A Skirt! I am so excited to be finally getting this put together. It has been a work in progress for some time but I believe I’m there. It took my friend helping me to set this up and my daughter in Hawaii with her own web site to get me jump started. I knew I had to get my butt into gear and do something!
         I very much love food and so why not do a food blog? My husband says I spend way too much time in the kitchen so why not put it to use since I practically live here? I plan on including articles on gardening and possibly herbal remedies, but that’s farther down the road. Back to food. Food, food, food! And good food, not fast food, eating out or pre-made entrees. I avoid those foods as much as possible. You won’t find them in my freezer, no way!
Baking is my love. Although I do enjoy sinking my teeth into a great meal, I love to bake. I love to experiment with baking to use better ingredients and still have an end result that is palatable by all. Sometimes it doesn’t work, but most of the time it does.
         I also love breakfast foods. I don’t understand people who don’t like to eat breakfast. What is wrong with them?! Mmmmm……I really like eating breakfast for dinner. If my husband is gone, I make breakfast food at night for me and the kids. He doesn’t like too many carbs and especially doesn’t like to eat them at night, so I take advantage of the situation if he’s out of town.
         I’d like to begin this blog with one of my favorites - Rye Blueberry Pancakes. These are so good! If your family doesn’t like them, well, I don’t know what to tell you. They are absolutely my most favorite pancakes! If you like whole wheat pancakes then these are for you. They are better tasting and they don't soak up the syrup and fall apart. The texture is more elastic.
         Thanks for visiting and I hope you love these as much as my family does!
Happy Baking!
Tracy

Rye Blueberry Pancakes Makes About 6 Pancakes
1 C. Organic Rye Flour
½ t. Sea Salt
½ t. Aluminum Free Baking Soda
1 t. Aluminum Free Baking Powder
1 T. Organic Sucanat
2 T. Organic Olive Oil or Organic Applesauce
1 Range Free Egg
1 ¼ C. Raw Milk
¼ to ½ C. Organic Blueberries (These can be either fresh or frozen. Both work fine. Just make sure if they’re frozen, they are bigger berries. They seem to turn out better this way.)



The texture is very elastic and I love these because unlike whole wheat pancakes, the syrup does not soak in and make the pancakes fall apart. My son likes them minus the blueberries. For him I put a few chocolate chips on top after they are flipped. Then you can spread it with the back of a spoon to cover the pancake. They are way too sweet for me this way. I prefer them minus the chocolate.

Mix together the egg and oil, then add the milk and mix well. Sift together dry ingredients. Add half the egg mixture to the dry ingredients. Mix well with a whisk so that all the dry ingredients are wet and mixed in and flour is no longer lumpy. Add other half of egg mixture and whisk well. The batter will thicken up as it sits. You may need to add more milk if it gets too thick. Sometimes I have to add a little more about half way through cooking the pancakes. Melt butter in a hot skillet and cook pancakes. Flip when air bubbles pop and cook approx another minute.

Another alternative is to make the batter, minus the berries, and add banana slices. Press them in the pancake after your pour them into the pan. Then when they are flipped, the bananas cook into the pancake.
Happy Baking J!

No comments:

Post a Comment