Monday, May 21, 2012

Gluten Free Margarita Pizza

I’d been looking for a gluten free pizza crust recipe and this one so far is my favorite. It definitely has a different consistency than conventional pizza, but well worth the change to have it gluten free. And what can I say; even my toughest critic loves it. Yay!!! I asked him if he wanted the leftover pieces in his school lunch the next day and he said, “nope, I’m gonna eat it now!” That’s all I needed to hear. Happy Baking!

Gluten Free Margarita Pizza
2 Heaping t. Yeast
1 T. Organic Evaporated Cane Juice
1 C. Very Warm Water
½. t. Sea Salt
½. t. Organic Oregano
½ t. Organic Basil
1 Organic Garlic Clove, Minced
2 C. Organic Brown Rice Flour
1 C. Tapioca Starch/Flour
1 C. Potato Starch

Sauce:
½ C. Organic Olive Oil
¼ t. Organic Basil
¼ t. Organic Oregano

Topping:
1 Large Organic Tomato, or 2 Small Organic Roma Tomatoes (Sliced)
2 C. Grated Raw Cheddar Cheese
Range Free Chicken, Shredded (Optional) – I usually don’t use it, but if you have a meat lover then go for it.

Put yeast and sugar in a medium bowl. Add warm water and cover about 15 minutes. Mix flours together in a bowl. Add salt and flours a cup at a time to the yeast mixture and mix by hand. Mix in the spices. Turn out onto a clean, slightly floured surface and knead until you’ve mixed in enough flour to make it workable. Now this is a different consistency than you may be used to, unless you are familiar with GF baking. When it no longer sticks to your hands it is ready to roll out onto baking stone. Roll out then top with sauce. Use just enough to spread across entire crust. Top with cheese, tomato slices and any remaining oil. Bake at 420° for approx 15 minutes.

*When using these flours I’ve found the ratio doesn’t have to be exact. It’s okay to use more rice flour than the other two and the results are the same. I just mix up what I have and keep it in a container handy and ready to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment